What kind of music have you been listening to lately? I’m fairly all over the map when it comes to music, but I generally stick to a few genres: folk, indie rock, experimental electronic, dubstep, jazz, and every once in a while, pop and R&B. Okay, maybe that’s more than a few. 😛
It’s kind of a strange mix, but I often find that the genre of music I choose has to match up with my mood. I’m sure it’s similar for you too! As I write this post, I have this album on repeat. I definitely need to listen to something upbeat in the morning to give me that extra kick in the butt to get moving.
When my brain is all over the place and I’m feeling distracted, dubstep is the genre of music that brings me back to earth. Half the time it sounds like noise, but when done well, it’s so artfully experimental and the rhythms can be very reminiscent of jazz rhythms (previous band geek over here). Even when it sounds like metal garbage cans being dragged down the street. 😉
I’d love to hear from you in the comments about the music you’re listening to lately! I’m always happy to find something new. 🙂
Okay, back to the food and the reason you clicked over here in the first place. This cappuccino crumb cake took some time to perfect, but once I got it right, I realized it was way too good to share. There is still a small container with two or three slices of cappuccino crumb cake in the back of my freezer for emergencies.
It’s very moist, and due to the instant coffee in the recipe there’s a smooth coffee flavour throughout with just a hint of cinnamon and a thick layer of crunchy, sweet, buttery crumbs. Enjoy 🙂
Tools used for this recipe (contains affiliate links):
KitchenAid 5-Speed Hand Mixer: My tiny kitchen is low on space, so this is the tool I use whenever I need to mix dough, or whip cream. It’s stylish and small and very easy to clean.
- [i]Crumb topping[/i]
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 TB instant coffee
- 85 g (3 oz) softened butter (about 1/3 cup plus 1 TB)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- optional: icing sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray an 8×8 baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, mix the topping ingredients with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another small bowl, stir together the milk and instant coffee until the coffee is dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars. Add the egg and mix on low-medium. Add the baking powder, salt, vanilla, sour cream, and milk mixture. Mix on low, then on medium, to combine.
- Pour the batter in the baking pan and smooth over the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the crumbs on top of the batter. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Optional: dust the top with icing sugar. Serve.
Are you on snapchat? Follow me by username: mydishisbomb