Sweet potato fries are soooo last year. Eggplant fries are where it’s at.
Yes, I do love potato fries. They’re my junk food weakness. I have to exert amazing willpower whenever I’m at a restaurant and I’m required to choose between a salad and fries. I know the salad is healthier, but when I see those thick-cut fries, crispy and warm, I will almost never say no.
I was that kid in high school who would always order a salad and steal everyone else’s fries.
I still am that kid. I might not technically be a kid anymore, but I’m still a fry thief.
I’m also totally floored by the fact that russet potatoes and sweet potatoes are not the only vegetables that can be turned into fries. Katie does zucchini fries, and Leanne has some pretty wicked looking jicama fries. So why not eggplant?
Eggplant fries are pretty simple to make, and I’d almost consider them a dinner in themselves. With some hummus on the side, I’d say it’s a pretty well-rounded meal.
All you have to do is slice, dip, and bake. Three steps. Easy.
I didn’t peel my eggplant, but I might next time if I feel like being fancy. The peel does become a little chewy on some pieces when it’s baked. However, if you’re strapped on time like the rest of the world, don’t bother.
If you’re sick of the usual potato fries, you have to try eggplant fries. It’s an umami overload.
- 2 eggplants
- 2 tablespoons flour (I used quinoa, use any type you wish)
- 1 teaspoon ground curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- olive oil spray or 1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Slice the eggplant into fry shapes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, curry powder, cumin, and salt with a whisk.
- Dip the eggplant fries into the flour mixture to coat them with spices. Place them in a large mixing bowl and drizzle them with olive oil, OR spray with olive oil spray. Place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Flip the eggplant fries carefully with a fork. Bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until crispy.
You might also like:
1. The Veggie Sandwich of my Dreams
2. The Sunshine Bowl
3. Black Bean Burgers